Our View From The Top,
A School Intervention Project,
For Vision Therapy in CT Schools and Everywhere
Our View From the Top empowers parents, teachers, and students to overcome visual barriers to learning through public awareness and intervention in Connecticut and everywhere.
- • 1 in 4 children is struggling with a visual issue that is negatively impacting their ability to learn effectively.
- • While it is estimated that approximately 80% of learning occurs visually, the standard school vision screenings test only for distance vision, while most learning occurs up close.
- • These issues are often not detected because they are not properly screened for at school, the pediatrician’s office, or the eye doctor’s office.
- • Many children with undetected visual difficulties are placed in Special Education or put on medication for behavioral issues.
- • A major cause for low self-esteem among children has its basis in poor academic performance.
Call to action:
- • With appropriate education of our teachers, principals, school counselors, and school nurses, we can better identify children with potential visual issues early.
- • Early detection and intervention are crucial to eliminating these barriers to allow for more efficient learning.
- • Many of these visual issues can be corrected with glasses, behavioral changes, and/or vision therapy for children.
What is possible:
- • Children learning free from visual barriers
- • Teachers able to educate without physiologic obstacles
- • Decreased spending on already financially strained Special Education Departments
- • Education dollars able to be reallocated to areas like the arts
Our View From the Top (OVT) is made up of volunteers from helping professions including: Doctors, Vision Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Teachers, Counselors, Psychologists, Nurses, Tutors, and many others in Connecticut and everywhere.
- – Program Director: Corinne Williams, MS Ed
- – Medical Director: Juanita Collier, MS, OD
“Our View From The Top, Overcoming Visual Barriers To Learning”
© 2012 – 2013 All rights reserved. Our View From The Top – Vision Therapy in CT – Vision Therapy in Connecticut Schools